Saturday, June 21, 2014
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Saturday, January 4, 2014
Needless to say, when I found out I was pregnant, the researching, and information loving, crazy mom that I am; I wanted to take our past experience with Zoey's meconium and NICU experience, as well as the tooth decay/ enamel issues, and tuck that in my pocket while i took a bit of a more *intentional* and different approach for prenatal supplements with baby number 2. Yeah, so funny story... I actually thought I had diabetes because I googled my symptoms, frequent urination, extreme fatigue, sudden weight gain.... and was about to spend a $100 bucks on a blood test when Sam rolled his eyes at me and told me to go to the store and take a pregnancy test. To my complete and utter shock, I was pregnant and Sam and I were/ are absolutely elated with joy! Zoey will make a PHENOMENAL big sister and she is VERY excited. She tells people she has a baby in her tummy too! She also LOVES babies and really wants one of her own! So I keep telling her "Ok Zoey, mommy is making you a baby sister or brother, so hold on, it's gonna take a while." ^_^
Ok so here is a picture of the supplements I am taking, and most of these supplements I was taking regularly and on daily basis anyways, before I even knew I was pregnant!
Left to Right:
1) Green Pasture Blue Ice Infused Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. The coconut oil is infused with Fermented Cod Liver Oil, Skate Liver Oil, and X Factor High Vitamin Butter Oil. This product is great for everyone in the family! The FCLO and SLO contain high amounts of fat soluble vitamin A and D which is greatly beneficial in small daily and the HVBO is great because it is high in Vitamin K and together they work much more effectively than if you were just to take the FCLO or SLO by itself. The HVBO is considered Activator X according to Dr. Weston A Price, an awesome Dentist who researched what made some ancient cultures completely immune to tooth decay. So basically this combo is awesome and easy because it is just one huge bottle instead of buying several different bottles. It is ideal for optimum eye, brain, and teeth development in babies, and for everyone, especially if you are trying to boost your overall immune system and health, or heal and cure tooth decay. It is however, pretty disgusting, I am not gonna lie. But ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. So I do it. For More info I recommend checking out the Weston A Price Foundation website and the Green Pasture website. I keep it in the fridge, and take a big ol spoon full. It melts in my mouth as I chew up the oil and then I chug room temp water to wash it all down. YUM!!!!
2) Amazing Grass Green Superfood Original. This stuff is helpful for overall nutrition and contains a variety of alkalizing green super foods. There are also pre and probiotics, acai and maca, and has the antioxidant equivalent of 7 servings of fruit and veggies. I put a scoop of it in mason jar glass of room put a lid on, shake it like crazy, and chug. It also is not all that delightful to drink, BUT it makes you feel really great afterwards! Like instant energy and really strong!
3) Vitamin Code Garden of Life Raw Prenatal. This prenatal is awesome. I really like it! I have steadily been taking prenatal vitamins since college (great for hair and nails, which is why I took them back then) and this is my favorite! It is food based, raw, vegetarian, dairy and gluten free. It has ginger to help with morning sickness, probiotics for healthy digestion, and has twice the minimum recommended folate for healthy support of neural tube development. (decreases the chance of birth defects related to the brain and spinal cord). It also does not make my urine neon yellow, score!!!! I take one with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are easy to take and I love them!
4) Natural Calm Calcium and Magnesium. Calcium and Magnesium work extremely well together, and can help prevent preterm labor, optimizes blood pressure levels, helps to increase pain threshold tolerance, can reduce the risk of birth defects, and is helpful in relieving constipation as well as helping reduce stress and anxiety, promotes more restful sleep, helps alleviate morning sickness and nausea, and is great for bone and teeth health! This is powder form and you start of very slowly in small doses because your body has to build up the amount it can tolerate, if you take too much your body cannot absorb it all and it will be a waste. I mix with water, and it tastes great. I have the lemon raspberry flavor!
5) ReMag. This is a stronger, pure magnesium liquid drop. The directions say to mix with water and start off slowly. The same benefits as listed above. Here is what the ReMag website says " Magnesium is a necessary cofactor for over 700 enzymes that preform vital metabolic functions in the body. It's a simple mineral that prevents and treats diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety, insomnia, and a dozen other health conditions" - Rnadrops.com/product/remag
6) Living Streams Probiotics. The website has a disclaimer that pregnant and nursing women should not use. But I have spoken with the owner/ creator of this of amazing probiotics, several times over the phone, and he assured me it is safe, but it must be taken in VERY small doses and increased VERY VERY SLOWLY. Like one drop a day for a few weeks and there may be some uncomfortable die off side affects associated with detoxing. I started taking these probiotics when my got them for my daughter over a year ago. In my opinion they are amazing and have helped aid in the healing of her tooth decay! It is a liquid dropper form and tastes a little like water. It is easy to take and give to Zoey.
7) Living Streams Alfalfa Probiotic Complex. The alfalfa is paired with silica from volcanic ash in this complex and is highly concentrated in vitamin k-2, aka the miracle vitamin. Alfalfa is high in protein, calcium, minerals, iron, and vitamin A, C, D, E and K. I also started taking this with my daughter over a year ago and I believe the two living streams probiotics have been the key to her tooth decay healing. <3 And I take it because it has just been a great source of nutrients to me as well, and am hoping it helps baby number 2's developing teeth grow extra strong and healthy! This also comes in liquid dropper form and tastes a little like swamp water and is easy to take and give to Zoey because its only a droppers worth and the taste disappears after a few seconds, no yucky aftertaste.
9) Stinging Nettles (AKA Nettle Leaf, NOT ROOT). High in vitamins A, C, K, D, calcium, potassium, iron and a great all around pregnancy tonic. It is found in many pregnancy packaged teas. It can help with relieving low iron related fatigue, exhaustion, and digestion discomfort. It can also help with increasing milk supply, and lessens hemorrhoids, reduces labor pain intensity, and is only recommended to take in the second and third trimester due to its uterus stimulating properties. The first few times I made an "Infusion" and it tasted like thick smiley mud water. I since then have discovered using a little less and combining it with RRLT (below) makes it much more delightful to sip on or chug. Sam, Zoey, and I all drink this regularly with out any need for sweetener, were gangsta. :)
So there you have it. Everything that I am currently taking for baby number 2 and all the reasons! Please keep in mind I am a hormonal sensitive pregnant lady, so if you have mean, negative, or hateraid type comments, keep them to yourself, thanks but no thanks. BUT, if you have happy, encouraging, positive, open minded comments, you are more than welcome to share. ^_^ Thanks!
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Let's start from the begining. I noticed Zoey's to top front teeth looked chipped when she was around 11months. I did some research and started to ask some natural mama friends that I knew whom were dealing with healing their childrens tooth decay, and trying various routes to remineralize, heal, and reverse their childrens cavities.
I read some articles on mothers having success reversing tooth decay with nutrition and changing their childrens diets. Not dousing them with fluoride and sedating them for surgery. which is the only way to "fix" tooth decay according to modern medicine.
I ended up having our naturopath looking at Zoey's teeth, and he suggested taking Zoey to the dentist... So I called 5 dentists offices and was laughed at when I shared my concern, my research, and asked them what route they would go if it were tooth decay, not just 2 chipped teeth.
I ended up making an appointment and later canceling after being condecended and patronized over the phone by the dentist. He was so pompus and said "hahaha no tooth decay is irreversible, you can try all you want, but if you bring your child to me, I can help you."
Well against my better judgement I rescheduled and this time I talked Sam into coming with us. Hoping he would be supportive and have my back. I did not want to get bullied and I did not want a confrontation either.
Well this morning was the apt and it went like this.
The dental assistant told me the routine, flouride toothpaste, show me how to "properly" brush my childs teeth, and then a flouride varnish. I smiled and said, "actually, I brought our toothpaste." She said "ok we can just use that then and after, do the flouride varnish." I smiled and said " no flouride, thank you anyways."
The dentist came and said "EARTHPASTE, what in the world is earthpaste, is it made from the earth? Hahaha!" I smiled and said "yes, its made with redmond clay, salt, xylitol, and essential oils". After several other negative questions and comments about our choice of toothpaste, he continued to condecend me and tell me that Zoey would benifit from the use commercial flouride toothpaste...
He examined her teeth and yes, she does indeed have tooth decay and cavities in her two front top teeth. I knew it...but I needed to confirm it for Sam to believe me and have him be on board with how aggressively I plan on treating it naturally with diet, nutrition, supplements, and education.
He went over reasons why she may have it, and I responded no to the first questions, like does she drink fruit juice? Nope. Does she drink milk from a bottle or sippy cup? Nope. Does she eat candy? Nope. Does she still breastfeed? Yes. On demand? Yes.
Then he said her age. "19 months. Hm well, how do I put this... Every bird gets kicked out of the nest and learns for fly". (WHO SAYS THAT?!?) When I looked at him with a confused furrowed brow, he reiterated. "Well we reccomend you wean her at 1 and shes 19 months so defiantly cut back and wean and we will would like to see you again in 2 months. If she isn't better by then, we will need to discuss sedating her to have me fix the decay, oh and I know you don't want to hear this again, but using just a tiny bit of fluoride on her decay will help tremendously."
I just smiled, nodded, and wanted to freak out and go crazy, as Sam chimed in reassuring the dentist that Zoey will wean soon since she is almost 2...
Then the dentist laughed and said, "Well you must be doing a good job brushing her teeth, because most kids at this point would have bought me a boat." (What?!) He explained that by this point other kids would need to have extensive oral surgery for multiple teeth, and reiterated how lucky we were to have brought her into see him "just in the nick of time".
We thanked the dentist and left and the assistant asked if we wanted a prize for Zoey... I smiled and said "no thanks she doesn't know what that stuff even is", as I looked into the vast plastic containers filled with small brightly colored pastic toys, and wrapped up in plastic.
We got to the front desk and she asked if we wanted to go ahead and make a 2 month appointment. Sam said yes, and I said "I need to check the kitchen calendar first." We thanked everyone and walked out the door...
The first words out of my mouth as soon as the door closed behind us, were really ugly, emotional, angry hateful words...
I am and was angry, scared, and frustrated.
As soon as I got home I called the library and asked if they had the book Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition, by Ramiel Nagel. They didn't have the book in any of their branches and the lady even checked the local university libraries. Nope. So I filled out a request/suggestion form for the library to buy the book, and explain why ita important.
I also pinned several articles about reversing tooth decay to my pinterest, and messaged some friends ab our experience...
I need to get my hands on that book and on some fermented/raw cod liver oil... And I have a bag of frozen lamb bones defrosting on the counter in the kitchen.
Dentist Weston A Price has extensive international research documented from all around the world. He studied first hand how people in other countries lived and ate and their oral health outcomes. He found that families who ate grass fed beef and other grass fed animal by products, had significantly less cavities and tooth decay.
I am hesitant to ever go back to that dentist...but it would be fun to take her back after I halt, heal, and reverse her tooth decay... That pompus, condescending, dentist...
Sunday, February 5, 2012
So Zoeys cutting her first tooth and is in a lot of pain. She has a Baltic amber teethibg necklace from Algimantas Bamber on etsy. I just tested it to see if it was real because Zoey is obviously suffering... Bless her heart. And after wraping it in a washcloth, smashing a section of it with the handles of some scissors, I tested by burning it with a lighter, its fake. It burned and smelled like cheepo burning plastic and not like real pine sap. Bummer! I just jumped on etsy and wrote to the seller and asked them to please send me a real one or refund my money because my baby needs a Baltic amber teething necklace and the website I got it from stated that it was real and raw...
What else can I do?
My poor baby... :(
Saturday, February 4, 2012
Today is day 3 of poor Zoey not feeling well...
Called back The Lotus Center and talked with Michelle, the senior practitioner, who whipped up a bit more bulk Chinese herbal "umph" for me to make into tea and add to the other tea decoction that we made Thursday.
She said to call her back after 24 hrs and that Zoey should definatley improve by then.
The reason for me doing all this, is to help Zoey get better and avoid needing antibiotics... And Sam has been patient, but if he dosnt see the fruits of these herbal remedies ASAP, he's gonna push hard for little Z to get on some antibiotics.
I also called the nurses hotline for my pediatritians after Zoey bumped her head, told her that Zoey was also not feeling well and how we were actually at The Lotus Center picking up some more herbs. The nurse sounded thrilled and said wasn't allowed to talk ab the Chinese herbs she takes, but she said she was proud of me for doing what I was doing and that she fully supported my choice to taking Zoey the "natural" route. She then drilled me with all sorts of other questions, and said Zoey's bump to the head should be fine and just continue to keep a close eye on her.
Here's the new mixture of herbs I cooked and the pre made batch of herbs for ZoZo's little cough.